Monday, April 28, 2008

Before These Crowded Streets (10th Anniversary)- Dave Matthews Band

It's been 10 years today since the Dave Matthews Band has put out an album of as high of quality as the Big three (UTTAD, Crash, and BTCS). Every single song on the CD is deeply meaningful and just all around good jams. Even though there are some versions of songs that I'm not a big fan of the studio version (cough Halloween cough), they manage to put forth great live versions. With the exception of Panta Nagala Pampa, an intro of sorts to Rapunzel, each song is atleast 5 minutes in length, which might be long for most bands, but DMB fills the time with awesome solos. There's never really a lull.

So in honor of 10 great years of Before These Crowded Streets, I asked around the some ants (antsmarching.org members) what they thought their favorite live version of each song is. Below is a mix of my personal list and theirs. The difference is that mine will have a little blurb about why posted with it.


Panta Nagala Pampa->Rapunzel Live in Chicago disc

The Last Stop Central Park Bonus disc

Don't Drink the Water 08-07-07 Tweeter Center -> My first DMB show (with great seats thanks to my buddy Jordan! and they brought out Xavier Rudd on stage to play the digereedo and he wailed on that thing for a good three minutes.

Stay (Wasting Time) They all pretty much sound the same, so I'll go once again with 08-07-07 Tweeter Center, being that it was my first show and it was meaningful, i guess.

Halloween The Gorge or MSG 05

The Stone Live Trax Volume 8 at Alpine Valley

Dreaming Tree Although I always enjoy the full band version, the Farm Aid 07 Dave+Tim Version just sounds so neat to me personally

Pig I love the Fenway opener of this but the ants consensus seemed to be the Giants Stadium with Big Voice Jack and Bela Fleck

Spoon Everyone pretty much went with the Central Park Bonus disc version. Never heard it live before so i'll go with that

I had an awesome time spinning this album on the 10th anniversary with all the ants that joined in.


No comments:

I plan on reviewing cd's, music dvd's, and live concerts, of course. As long as I remember to bring a camera, I will also add pictures of the concerts too.

Enjoy!